Monday, November 2, 2009

They've arrived!!


To those who have not already heard- our precious baby boys have arrived.

Gabriel Douglas, 5 lb, 10 oz, and 17 inches long was born at 7:03 am on October 30th.

Nathaniel Robert, 6lb, and 17 inches long was born shortly thereafter at 7:05 am.

I will post a more detailed birth story later, but the basics are: my water broke around 12:30 am, we checked in to L & D at 3:00 am the boys were assessed and their heartbeats were looking wonderful, I labored for a few hours and felt great. Began to monitor them again and Gabriel (Baby A) was in distress. We were unable to locate a heartbeat from him. Occasionally we would pick it up, and it was either in the 180's or in the 70's, and when we did hear it it had very distinct eurythmia that we had never once heard during the pregnancy. I was rushed into the OR, "knocked out" and within 3 minutes they had Gabriel out, with Nathanial following two minutes later.
The boys are doing well now. We are working on maintaining their weights. Gabriel had an echo cardiogram performed a few days ago, so we will hopefully be hearing from the cardiologist with good news.
My recovery was not so pretty. I lost a lot of blood during the surgery, and ended up requiring 2 transfusions. I was a wreck the day of delivery; vomiting regularly and completely disoriented. I hear that I was a terrible shade of yellow/green. Once I received the blood from the transfusions my recovery significantly changed for the better.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations!

    A lurker from TWW who stumbled upon your blog from there :)

    Enjoy your babymoon!

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah girl. You have me tears as per usual. A huge congrats to you and Joel. They are gorgeous as I knew they would be. I pray that you 3 have a good recovery from the birth.

    Scary stuff girl!!! But you know you had plenty of people praying over you and the boys.

    Welcome to the world Gabriel and Nathaniel. We have waited for your arrival for so long now. You keep your mommy and daddy happy.

    I'm bursting with pride just being a part of your journey.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww!!! They are absolutely beautiful!!! Is Gabriel on the left?? I want to put names with the baby!!! :-)

    Such a freight you all went thru! I'm glad to read that you are on the up and up now and hope you all get to go home shortly! Continuing to pray for all of you during this wonderful transition time!!!!

    I have to agree with Marcelle on her very last statement... :-) We love you Annie and Joel and Gabriel {Gabe?} and Nathaniel {Nate?}!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow they are absolutely gorgeous, and good weights for twins! Congratulations to you and Joel & welcome to the world Gabriel and Nathaniel!!!
    Hope you make a speedy recovery & enjoy every minute with your 'double bundle' of joy!!
    XXXXX

    ReplyDelete