Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sick of it

This winter has surely done a number on this family.
Stomach flu, colds, colds, and more colds, croup, and now...pneumonia.

I decided to bring the boys to Urgent Care on Friday night because I just didn't feel right about the length of time they had been sick. They checked out fine on Monday, except for Croup, but they had become very lethargic and their normally huge appetite had decreased to almost nothing. Nat started running a fever, and I was pretty sure that I could hear a rattling in Gabe's chest.
Off I went to the clinic with Grandpa assisting with the job, since their daddy was working.
I sat in the waiting room, feeling like a total tool, while my kids climbed chairs, said "Hi!" to everyone that entered, and pretty much looked like completely healthy kids.
We did the usual- met with the nurse, and doctor. They listened to the boys breathing and took their oxygen levels. Then they sent me off with them for chest X-rays because their chests sounded congested and their oxygen levels were low. While I wrested with one kid to get X-rays taken, Grandpa was nebulizing the other. The X-rays showed that both of my little men had pneumonia.

As luck would have it, not only were my kiddos sick, I got sick too. It was some crummy virus that gave me the "hit by a bus" aches and pains, and stomach upset. I had to suck it up and wear my "mommy hat" Friday night until Joel got home.
He wins the Daddy of the Year award for this weekend. He actually deserves it everyday. I couldn't have asked for a better father for my kids. I have attempted to sleep the illness away, accompanied with popping ibuprofen, drinking tea, and soaking in hot tubs. He fed, diapered, medicated, and took care of night wakings for our two sick boys. He'll head off to work tomorrow, work 8 shifts in 5 days, and still be as completely present in our children's lives as you can be. Loving them to bits and pieces, reading, snuggling, and pretty much adoring them to death.
In short, my husband rocks.
My sleeping seems to have restored me to 80%, which I'll take.
I can see little bits of my healthy boys returning.
Gabe is talking up a storm, and Nat is climbing and dancing on chairs.
I'm hoping that tonight's rest will fully restore us so that we can have a fun-filled week of exploring and learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment