Monday, February 28, 2011

Enough Already!

Would you believe me it I told you my kids were sick again?!
Believe it.
It's so frustrating.
I disinfect, I clean. They eat healthy, well-balanced meals, drink lots of milk and water, get good amounts of sleep. We take our Vitamins, Fish Oil and a daily dose of probiotics. We avoid the sick kids.
I am SO OVER winter. This winter will go down in history as the one of the hardest.
I think that maybe we keep getting sick because there is double the exposure to germs. Once one of the boys get sick, the other is guaranteed to get it.

My sister and I were running errands with the kids in tow, and Nathaniel kept coughing and coughing. I noticed that he felt really warm, so when we returned home I took his temp. 104.7...rectally.
Poor kid. One trip to the doctor's office 30 minutes later and we were informed that while his lungs sounded clear, he was working very hard to breathe due to a very enlarged right tonsil. So enlarged, that it left him with a tiny airway and the doctor contemplated sending us to the hospital for a dose of steroids to shrink it.
I decided against the hospital since, of course, Nat was running around the clinic room giggling and laughing. He was having THAT hard of a time breathing. The demeanor of my children never helps me determine how sick they are.


I chose to return home with a prescription for some antibiotics. We figured that he would be spending the night in the pack-n-play next to our bed so I could keep an ear open for his breathing.
Go figure that five minutes after I drift off to sleep, I can't hear him breathing, and not because he has stopped, it just got really quiet.
Change of plans. He is crashing with mom tonight, so that I can make sure he continues to inhale and exhale throughout the night.
It's four days later and now Nathaniel is on the mend, and Gabe is struggling through the day.
Will it ever end? I am hoping that this is strengthening their immune systems and that next year will be better.





Update: Not even 20 minutes after I posted this entry did Gabe wake up screaming with a temp of 105.6. Keeping in mind that I had put him to bed an hour and a half earlier with a dose of ibuprofen to bring down his, then temp, of 103. We headed off to the ER (seeing as it was 9 at night, so our clinic was closed). Three hours later we returned home with a diagnosis of a respiratory virus and our very first ear infection.

No comments:

Post a Comment