Monday, March 28, 2011

Trucks, Balls and Baby Dolls

I love watching my boys play.
I love seeing their interests develop.
I love noticing what intrigues them.
Every morning just around 7:15 the delivery trucks from across the road, at the distribution center, begin their daily routes.
Gabe and Nat have their cups of milk and snack holders filled with cereal. Mama has her cup of coffee. They stand perched at the window and watch as they drive by. We count them, note their color, decide if they will turn left and drive toward us, or turn right and drive away from us. It's how they begin their day.

After the trucks they move onto their other favorite activities. For Nat, it is usually playing with trucks, cars and tractors. Gabe loves balls- soccer, tennis, football, dog balls. It amused me that these two little boys, who have their pick of all sorts of toys naturally gravitated to the stereotypical "boy" toys.

Last week though, they began to mix it up. The stuffed animals began to get more hugs, kisses, and even cuddles.
The lone, naked Cabbage Patch kid became the favorite toy to play with. So much so, that I had to make a Target run to pick up another baby doll so they didn't scratch and bite one another while fighting over the solo baby.
So now my little boys are becoming pros at practicing their daddy skills. We've got the cuddling, hugs and kisses down pat. They bring me baby sized blankets and ask for help to wrap up their dolls. They share their nuks before their naps, and offer their babies a sip of their milk.





We're still climbing everything possible, filling up trucks with animals, building with blocks, throwing and kicking balls, catching bubbles, and eating crayons. Now we've just thrown "Playing Daddy" into the mix.



I have to say that I think it's one of the sweetest things I've seen. Baby boys perfecting their daddy snuggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment