Friday, March 11, 2011

Brothers

Nathaniel started crying tonight. I recognized it right away as the cry he gets when he has an upset stomach and a sore tooshie.
I quickly ran through the menu of the day to determine what could be causing his problem. I'm sure it was too much fruit or some gluten or wheat that managed to work it's way in to his diet. Someday I am going to dedicate a post to how ridiculous it is that so many food items have gluten in them!
Once Nat starts this crying fit, it usually doesn't stop for a good 30 minutes or so after his diaper has been changed, he has a dose of acetaminophen, and an application of some heavy duty diaper rash cream on his butt.
I was trying my darnedest to calm him down, but nothing was working. Not silly songs, his favorite stuffed puppy,not even cuddles and kisses.
Along comes Gabe to try and save the day. Bless his adorable, little soul.
He was like a miniature magician trying to pull any trick out of his sleeve that he could think of, to calm his brother down.
At first, he came over and gave his brother a huge hug and kiss, but it didn't work.
Next he pulled out Nat's blankie and handed it to him, still nothing. He tried bringing him his OWN blanket, complete with a demonstration of how to wrap it around your shoulders and snuggle in. Nat still shrieked.
Then he brought out the train and blocks. He kept trying to get his attention saying "Nat, block, block." (except it sounded more like Nat, buck, buck) Still no luck.
Finally, Gabe walked over with the plastic link that he had been using as a teether to work his last molar through, and put it between his teeth. He leaned over and offered it to Nat with his mouth. A hand's free pass off. Nat took it with his teeth while giggling. Then Nat passed it to me and I caught it with my mouth. He burst into a fit of laughter, and with that, his sobs were quieted.
Gabe toddled away quite happy with himself while I sat there in awe of such a sweet show of compassion between a 16 month old and his twin brother.
It reminded me of the time when the boys were 3, maybe 4 months old. It was the "witching hour," and Nathaniel was crying inconsolably, as usual. Joel was at work and I was at my wits end. I was pacing our bedroom, swaying with a swaddled and nuk'd baby. Gabe, my chill kid, was propped on some pillows on our bed just watching the scene in front of him. I gave up and set Nat on the bed, next to Gabe, so I could take some deep breaths and "reset" my mind. Nathaniel rested his head on the pillow and gazed at his brother. Gabe turned his head to face Nat. Their noses were so close together that they almost touched. Instantly, Nathaniel stopped crying, his breathing slowed, and he closed his eyes to rest.
Usually, all a little one needs is their mama. When you've got a twin though, sometimes mama won't do. You need that person that knows you just as well,loves you just as much - your twin brother.

1 comment:

  1. Awww! That makes me tear up! That's so awesome the bond that they already have... Such a beautiful family you have Annie!

    ReplyDelete