Monday, March 21, 2011

Rivals and Best Friends

I had to follow up the last post with what reality is for two young toddlers who share practically EVERYTHING.


For the most part, Gabe and Nat adore one another and get along really well.
They really don't know what life is like without the other being close by. In fact, if you would ask them, they are both named "Nat." Gabe is working really hard on his own name. It sounds like "Babe" at best.
I think I could count one hand the number of times that they have been separated from one another. Those were two emergency room visits and a scattering of Physical Therapy sessions when Gabe was dealing with Torticollis and Plagiocephaly. I'd like to start separating them more. For their own good, and for ours. It would be nice to be able to shower just one of them with attention and not feel guilty about it.


Last week we had a showdown. They seem to be happening a lot more lately. I think it's this whole independence stage. That, and the fact that they aren't able to verbalize their needs to one another.
Gabe walked up to Nat and, out of the blue, chucked the baby powder bottle that he had been holding at him. Nat was shocked and furious. Unfortunately for Gabe, Nat was holding a large toy truck and, in turn, bashed his brother in the head with it.
The screaming started. As did the hair pulling, scratching and attempted biting. I jumped in and tried to separate and calm them, one on each side of me.
Let's just say it wasn't a pretty sight.
Have you ever flipped past an episode of Jerry Springer? (I say "flipped past" because I'm pretty certain nobody would confess to actually watching that show.)
I would have to say we did a pretty good reenactment of a 'woman attacking woman with the big bouncer in between thing.' The fists were flying, lots of tears and screaming.
I had to laugh because there wasn't much else I could do at the moment. They were not listening to reason and they were both so upset with the other one.
The fighting died down withing a minute or so. I calmed their tears. Within 5 minutes they were playing as though nothing had happened.
It's little episodes like this that have me thinking. How do you encourage a strong relationship between siblings? Twins especially. There are a huge number of people who say that their twin sibling was their best friend. There is also a group of people who feel that their twin was/is their biggest rival.
My sisters and I were most definitely NOT best friends growing up. We got along as well as most sisters do. Drama and fights one week, great friends the next.
My sister, Ashley, is now one of my closest and best friends. We talk almost everyday. Our four year age difference was a huge factor when we were growing up. Now, it means nothing. I often forget that I am the older of the two of us.
I'd hope that Gabriel and Nathaniel remain close through the years. I can't imagine them without the other to lean on. The thought of them separating makes my heart hurt. Thankfully,we live in a state that offers the option of keeping them in the same classroom, if we decide to do that.


I'll just focus on the age that they are right now. Toddlers with attitudes and a ridiculous amount of energy. For real. Ridiculous amounts of energy.

1 comment:

  1. Oh goodness I had to giggle. Poor boys can't be easy either. Sorry no advice from me, but imagine when they start fighting over girls!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete