Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Growing Up


My little nursling has weaned.My nursing days are over for now. With the trip to Grandma and Grandpas, and back-to-back illnesses I knew that there wasn't much left of a supply.
I also knew that our days were numbered when morning milk/snuggle sessions only lasted a few minutes.
The last time he nursed was a week ago when we were all sick with the flu. He nursed and then we napped, and then he apparently decided he was done... for good. That was the end of that chapter in our lives.
He has not requested anymore from me.



Nat lasted until 10 months when he decided he was through. I, being the "gotta keep it all equal with my twins" paranoid mom, pumped milk for Nat until they were established on whole milk.
Gabe nursed for almost 15 months.
I am proud of myself. Proud that I accomplished this goal.
I wanted to nurse my children until they were ready to be done. I just hoped that they would be done before they started school!
When the boys were wee little ones I wanted to give up so many times. It was so difficult, so emotionally and physically draining. Joel kept encouraging me to continue. I wanted so badly to quit, but he kept telling me not to give up. He knew that I would have regretted it down the road. I would have been disappointed in myself. I would have let my anxiety get the best of me. When there is a challenge set before me, I tend to run. I knew he was right. As much as I wanted to yell at him and tell him how hard it was, I knew he was telling me what I wanted to hear.



Somehow I made it. Armed with my trusty double electric pump, homemade hands-free pump bras, and a twin nursing pillow, we did it.
I hugged that breast pump before I packed it up and put it in the closet. No lie.

I'm giving extra cuddles these days to make up for our special time together.
I'm enjoying the surprise hugs from behind from both boys. We're giving lots of kisses, completed with big "Muuahh!" sound effects.
The new game is to point at every object in the room and ask "Uh Dah?"(Translation: What's that?)
We're enjoying life. Enjoying all that growing up brings with it.

On a side note.
We had a successful sleepover. Yes, he is grasping a book in his sleep. I can't tell you how many time I catch them sneaking off to the nursery to quietly look at books these days. They are going to be "readers" just like mama and daddy.

3 comments:

  1. Well done, Annie. Those boys are blessed to have such an unselfish & loving mommie & daddie. I am so proud of you! Nursing twins is such an accomplishment! Everyone would understand if you had not done it, or only done it for a little bit. Being the nursing advocate that I am, I am so very thankful that you gave the guys that blessing. Love you! Mom E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, your boys are gorgeous. I'm so glad you are blogging again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tears in my eyes darn it! So beautiful the dedication you had in nursing {and then pumping!} for your boys! Such an awesome mama you are but so much more so than just giving them mama milk! They are beautiful, er, handsome boys! Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete